Monday, May 4, 2015

Lunch? We've Got This in the Bag!!

I have to admit.. I actually enjoy packing my lunch for school. Its kind of like a game. I hate eating the same thing over and over again, and I like eating relatively healthy. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a teenager and I still eat junk food (there was a brownie in this lunch) but I try to just eat a balanced meal, and not obsess over calorie counting.

This meal was actually SO good that I made it again for dinner. For the dinner rendition, I just added a little chicken on top.

So what is this incredible food you ask? A mini flatbread pizza.
 
It all started when I found this naan bread at Costco. I just so happened to have some mozzarella, grape tomatoes and basil from Trader Joe's. So, I got creative. I preheated my oven to 350 and chopped up the basil and tomatoes fairly small. Once the naan had a layer of mozzarella on it, I put the tomatoes on and just crisped it up in the oven for about 10 minutes. 
After the cheese was melted and the naan was a little crispy, I turned off the oven and sprinkled the basil on top (as you can tell, I'm slightly basil obsessed. You, of course, do not have to put this much on!) I popped it back into the oven for less than 2 minutes and after, drizzled some of this AMAZING artisan fig balsamic vinegar on top. Its from this adorable shop here in downtown Bethesda, Secolari. The store itself was beautiful, but the taste of their olive oils and balsamic vinegars was what really sold me. I definitely recommend checking them out. 

Now, for the rest of my lunch. As I said, I try to get a good variety. These mini peppers from Mucci Farms are non GMO and really, I just love peppers... Definitely my vegetable of choice.
Then I added a little fruit salad with pineapple, blueberries, and strawberries. For a salty snack, veggie straws are a favorite of mine... plus they're gluten free! 

I really try every day to put effort into my lunches. During a long day at school, its just the thing I need to keep going or feel good. If I eat well, I often just feel better all around! It might seem difficult at first, but really making the choice and following through is SO worth it in the end.

If you're inspired to put a spin on your lunch or dinner, let me know! Comment below what you've come up with, or if you tried my recipe. I'd love to hear from you.

xoxo,
B

2 comments:

  1. The mini pizza looks delicious! I think I'm going to try that some time :)

    x Envy
    Picking up the Pieces

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your food is awesome! Dude. I'm gonna have to try that, too!

    ReplyDelete